Monday, November 14, 2011

List

I am looking down the list of Nobel Prize winners in literature from 1901 til now, and thinking hard on how I should proceed in picking out a novel to read. Throwing a dice with nearly 100 facets? There are some familiar names, yet most are unknown to me.

My mother who is of the moment not into reading, and perhaps she never will, has often complained why I would rather stick my nose in the books instead of talking to her. Well, if one day she stops talking about where she has kept items 1 to 499 in her house so I can remember her list of household items, then we may really be able to have a conversation for real.

There shelf at the new apartment stands quite empty right now. I wonder what books I would fill it up with.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to the invention of Excel program, I did manage to randomly pick out an author to read next. Orhan Pamuk he is, a prolific author of several books about the tension between the western and the eastern, a theme I am quite familiar with, for I have read through several of VS Naipaul and Salman Rushdie's books, and am still living it even of now. Funny, I remember reading the cover of this book at a bookstore in an airport, waiting for my flight to take me from west to east. Though on that day, I chose to stick with the author I already know of, Barbara Kingsolver.

Can't wait for get off work and head home with the new or should I say old find.

No comments:

Post a Comment